ThinkPad T400 Xorg tweak on Ubuntu Intrepid 8.10

Getting Ubuntu 8.10 working on my ThinkPad T400 (with Intel 4500HD) is a dream. One area that I found to be quite annoying is the extra "Unknown" screen that shows up when I launch the "Gnome Monitor Resolution Settings" utility. Usually I get my laptop screen and another "Unknown" screen. This is fine with one exception.

I have an advanced mini docking station with a DVI powering my LG 24" LCD. Usually, I like to use the Gnome Monitor Resolution Settings utility to turn off the laptop screen and keep the LG 24" on instead. The problem is when I want to take my laptop out of the docking station, I need to turn off the LG screen and turn on the laptop screen. When I do that, X crashes and I lose all my open windows. This sucks because I have lots of those windows open with files and such and it is a a pain to do that. After some researching, I figured out that if I tell Xorg to turn off this "Unknown" screen, turning things on and off does't cause a crash.

To do that, I added the following to my Xorg.conf (found in /etc/X11/):


Section "Monitor"
Identifier "HDMI-1"
Option "Ignore" "True"
EndSection


and Added:
Option "monitor-HDMI-1" "HDMI-1"
to the device section of my file.

Now when I run the Gnome Monitor Resolution Settings Utility, I get:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Emacs keybidings in Ubuntu 12.04 (Precise)

Make-a-friend with a New Syrian Family Program - Call for volunteers

Ubuntu 13.04 (Raring) on ThinkPad X1 Carbon Experience