Admin BIP (IRC Proxy) remotely

At work, I use BIP as a proxy server to keep me on IRC so I can see what I missed and respond to any pings while I was sleeping. As the admin for our instance of BIP, I hated having to restart it every time I added a new user. Little did I know, you can administer BIP remotely if you are are setup as the admin. Here is how to set it up and use it. 

Designate your account as admin:
  1. Open bip.conf found in /etc (I use Ubuntu)
  2. Add  admin = true;
  3. Restart BIP
More information are in the bip.conf man page.

Admin BIP from your favourite IRC client

Go to your favourite IRC client that is connected to BIP and type

/quote BIP HELP

Voila. You are prsented with a list of commands you can pass bip. My favourite is RELOAD.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Emacs keybidings in Ubuntu 12.04 (Precise)

Make-a-friend with a New Syrian Family Program - Call for volunteers

Ubuntu 13.04 (Raring) on ThinkPad X1 Carbon Experience